Divorce Lawyers Portsmouth NH

What are the Divorce Laws in Portsmouth, New Hampshire?

Attorneys Cohen & Winters, PLLC are dedicated divorce lawyers in Portsmouth NH and Exeter NH and offer free divorce consultations. Cohen & Winters have helped families through the difficult process of filing for divorce. The state of New Hampshire has a “no-fault” divorce law. In other words, neither spouse has to show that the other is more to blame for the divorce. “Irreconcilable disagreements have caused the irremediable dissolution of the marriage” is how it is phrased. It signifies irreconcilable disagreements between the spouses, and as a result, the marriage has crumbled. Cohen and Winters can assist you with divorce-related concerns such as child custody and child support.

How Would I File a Divorce in Portsmouth, New Hampshire?

Either you or your spouse must have lived in New Hampshire for one year before filing for divorce. To commence the divorce procedure, it is necessary to submit a petition if you or your spouse meets the residence criteria. A suitable petition must be selected once you are ready to file for divorce. A Joint Petition or an Individual Petition may be filed for divorce in New Hampshire.

Joint Petition

The joint petition may be used if both you and your spouse agree to start the divorce process. Uncontested divorce in New Hampshire differs from a joint divorce petition. To begin, you and your spouse must both agree.

A notary public or judge of the peace must witness the signing of the petition by both spouses. The joint petition may be submitted in person after it has been finished. As well as the “Personal Data Sheet,” as well as the court filing fee.

Individual Petition

Alternatively, either you or your spouse may submit a personal petition for divorce on your own. The spouse who initiates the divorce proceedings is referred to as the “Petitioner”. The other individual is referred to as the “Respondent”. Individual petition forms are available on the New Hampshire Judiciary’s website.

For further proceeding, you sign the Individual Petition form in front of a notary or judge of the peace. The original petition, two copies of the petition, the personal information sheet, and registration fee may be sent or taken to court.

What are My Rights Related to My Child’s Custody?

New Hampshire lawmakers changed the term “custody” to “parental rights and duties” in child custody statutes. When parents split or divorce, the law tells them to focus on what will happen to their children, not who will get them.

Custody proceedings are guided by one fundamental principle: the final judgment must be based on what is best for the child. When it comes to custody-related issues, parents can typically resolve them out of court, if not on their own, then they can seek the help of a lawyer or a mediator. Although the law requires courts to observe these agreements, judges are free to disregard them if it is in the best interest of the child.

On the other hand, Cohen and Winters’ knowledgeable lawyers will assist you in making the right choice. It is best to choose a law firm who concentrates in child custody and support laws in NH.

If are contemplating filing for divorce and have questions about custody, support and separation, then call our divorce lawyers in Portsmouth NH.  Contact us Today. Call 603-333-1654.

Free Consultation