Sexual Assault Defense Attorneys
New Hampshire has strict sexual assault laws, and any sexual assault allegation must be taken very seriously because sentences for convictions can be very severe, often involving lengthy prison sentences. Accusations are powerful and the credibility of the accuser is central to the outcomes of these cases.
People convicted of such offenses must register as sexual offenders with the State and will generally experience severe public stigma and alienation due to their convictions.
Cohen and Winters are seasoned and experienced trial attorneys with deep knowledge of the New Hampshire justice system. They are capable of effectively questioning accusers and have successfully defended people facing a range of sexual assault charges, including:
- Felony-level sexual assault charges where the alleged victim is an adult or child
- Misdemeanor-level sexual assault charges including alleged unwanted touching
- Child pornography
- Indecent exposure
- Prostitution or soliciting a prostitute
Case Results for Clients Charged with Assault
- Aggressive Negotiation: Jonathan Cohen represented a mailman accused of 6 counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, 3 counts of indecent exposure and 1 count of simple assault against three young children. Despite intense media coverage Attorney Cohen was able to convince the prosecutor that he had weaknesses in his case and ultimately secured a very favorable resolution for his client. All of the charges were dropped except the single charge of simple assault so the client was able to avoid a lengthy prison sentence and avoided having to register as a sex offender.
- Not Guilty: Attorney Winters represented a man accused of sexually molesting a young girl who was spending the night with his daughter. Winters convinced the jury that the girl’s story did not add up. His client was found not guilty of aggravated felonious sexual assault, saving him years in prison and the obligation to register as a sex offender for life.
- Not Guilty: Jonathan Cohen represented a convicted murderer facing multiple counts of aggravated sexual assault against his daughter. They accusations were made in 2006 and were alleged to have happened in 1981. Cohen defended his client against two prosecutors and extensively cross-examined the alleged victim in the case. The jury acquitted the man on all counts at the end of this high-profile trial that was covered by both the Concord Monitor and the Nashua Telegraph.
- Not Guilty: Jonathan Cohen represented a man accused of sexually assaulting two young sisters. The man faced over fifty years in prison as well as having to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life if convicted. Cohen successfully defended this client against two prosecutors from two different counties. Cohen cross-examined the two sisters and demonstrated that the older sister had made up the accusations to avoid getting into trouble, and then convinced her younger sister to back her up on her lie. The jury ultimately found the man not guilty of all charges and he walked out of the courthouse a free man.
- Charge Dropped: Andrew Winters represented a teenager who was charged with sexually assaulting a younger girl. Winters demonstrated to the police that his client was in another place on the day of the alleged assault and so could not have committed the crime. The girl then changed her story, saying the alleged assault had occurred on a different day. Unable to go forward with the case, the prosecutor dropped the charge, but said he would bring a new charge based on the girl’s new story. However Winters continued to pick out holes in the girl’s story, calling her credibility into question until eventually the prosecutor agreed not to reinstate the charge.
- Not Guilty: Jonathan Cohen represented a man accused of having consensual sex with a 15-year old girl. If convicted, the man faced up to seven years in prison as well as a requirement to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. Cohen successfully defended the man against two prosecutors. Cohen demonstrated that the police investigation against the man was flawed and inadequate, and the man was acquitted by the jury.
The attorneys of Cohen & Winters defend clients against charges of felony and misdemeanor level sex assault, indecent exposure, and more. If you’ve been charged, don’t delay — contact us today for a consultation.